Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser . . .

This is the “Wonderland” garden display my cousin designed.


Complete with mystical doorway, chessboard tiles . . .


A mad tea set and the pig who used to be the Duchesses’ baby . . .


And magical mushrooms.


I can almost see the white rabbit poking its head out at me.

I love plants. I love the way they are always changing and give us air for every bit they take. I love the way they can make things better simply by being there. The way they seem to slow life down a little. There is a Chinese proverb. “If you have two loaves of bread sell one and buy a lily.” I may just be insane enough to sell my first loaf of bread for a lily –or African violet, or camellia or iris or ivy vines or fern . . .

I love the way the gateway between worlds seems to open up when I am standing in a garden. Suddenly anything is possible. My imagination is awake and I am ready to listen, to breathe, to create. I love the way something small becomes something alive and so much bigger than you ever thought it could be. I love the taste of life that you can’t quite place, can’t quite touch and can’t quite see.

So I guess I’m feeling inspired.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE GARDENS. I have big images of a nice, quiet one in my head to use for writing someday. Our yard currently resembles nothing like a garden. Sigh.

    On the plus side, I'm getting married in one. So there's that.

    Very cool design! Was this for the fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was for a garden show in a some huge mall in Orange County that made me feel like Alice I got lost so many times.

    Writing in a garden could only be improved by a cup of tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool :)

    And so true! I think on my lunch today I will get a cup of tea and close my eyes and pretend I'm writing in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I kill plants faster than anything. So someone who can co-exist with them... I bow down to you. :)

    ReplyDelete