Monday, February 14, 2011

13 Reasons Why Writing And I Are Meant To be (and apologies for not having any Literary Idol entries for you this month)

I am terribly sorry. My time has been lapped up by geography and anthropology readings this month and I wasn't able to spread the word of the "Ode" Challenge around as much as I would have liked. There are, alas, no entries for you to vote on today. I will do my best to spread the word of the next challenge with a little more zeal (who wants to pass general ed classes anyway?) and hope to have some fabulous stories for you to choose from in March. Today I will substitute with my own "ode" of sorts to writing.


13 Reasons Why Writing and I Are Meant To Be


13) I'm a project junkie. I love to see my efforts start out as something small and keep growing, slowly until finishing it is all I can think about and it completely absorbs me.

12) I enjoy spending long hours by myself (wait! Come back! Not that long)

11) The calming sensation of pen on paper

10) I garble words when I speak. Writing lets me take the time to choose the right ones

9) The buzz I get when my plot points start clicking into place, all the little pieces coming together in a whole that makes sense. Man o Man, there isn't anything better than that.

8) I daydream too much for any other job

7) I love doing research

6) Pretending to be inside so many different heads helps me to understand people better

5) Pretending to be inside so many heads helps me to understand myself better

4) I must completely absorb every detail of my experiences in case I need to recreate them on the page

3) I must seek out new experiences to absorb

2) All my heroes are writers. They transport me to other worlds, show me things I could never imagine, and teach me things I never thought I would need to know. They comfort me when I am sick and give me strength to face the impossible. They are a friend when I am lonely even though I have never met them. They crowd my mind with ideas and I can not help but want to become one of them.

1) Writing is the closest to making love with a book I can get

Writing and I are made for each other. I don't care how good Accounting looks in a tux or what kind of new haircut Real Estate has. Writing is the only career for me.

6 comments:

  1. Love this post, Taryn :). I totally know what you mean with #10. That's why I prefer emails over actually talking to people sometimes. I haven't had #9 quite yet but I sure hope I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love #9. There's some serious juice in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to write anything. I thought about it, but spent the past week under the influence of Nyquil. I did give you a shout out on my blog though!
    I'm there with you on #8 and #5
    And forgive me if I don't know you well enough to go there or if this is a family blog, but in regards to #1...
    I bet you could get closer, but the book would probably not survive the experience and you may have some awkward paper cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Let's say I want the book to survive. And not worries about the contest. There is always next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Numbers 13 and 12 describe me perfectly. #8 is my problem and #7 is my ruin. But, I am a writer.

    ReplyDelete