Sunday, February 7, 2016

Weekend Writing Warriors



Hello! welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, a lovely weekly blog hop in which we get to read snippets of each other's work. Jump in! The words are deep and inviting, perfect to swim in.

My snippet this week is from my dark romance SNOW ROSES, available now on amazon.





"I grew used to papa's death the way summer dwindles into winter. Silently. Laboriously. Without hope.
I do not know when the funeral was held. I do not know how many foreign dignitaries attended or how the common folk mourned the loss of their ruler. I imagine I was invited --expected to attend in somber black silk, suffering silently by my stepmother's side. I imagine that my handmaidens pleaded with me to allow them to dress me but I never heard them. "



After her father's death Snow shuts herself away in her grief cluttered chambers but she is plagued by more than painful memories. She will never be safe unless she forgets how her father really died. At last she escapes into the woods with nothing but a small knife. 

Rose leaves the sleeping village she grew up in for the first time in search of her missing grandmother. Alone in the dark woods she finds ghosts, a rabid wolf, her grandmother's mangled corpse, and Snow. 

Snow and Rose thrive together in the wood but hiding will not keep them safe forever. It will take something stronger than walls to conquer the dangers that haunt them.

16 comments:

  1. Welcome to WeWriWa! It's always wonderful to see new people!

    Quite a sad tone in this excerpt, which tells us a lot about the character and hints that there could be big problems in her life. Looking forward to more from this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to wewriwa! Your writing is is so fluid, so polished! This short excerpt is incredibly intriguing. I'd read more based on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, this was very thought provoking and sad... it drew me in right away, great words :-) ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting snippet. I liked the way you described her mental fugue state during the funeral events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this. The opening poetry is the kind of thing I'll store in my subconscious and maybe use it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! You slipped me into her mood effortlessly. Very nice writing, Taryn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! What lovely yet heartbreaking description. I feel for her. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry i missed you last week, Taryn. Being on the other side of the world has it's challenges :-)
    Welcome. And an excellent start. Will find you next post, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry i missed you last week, Taryn. Being on the other side of the world has it's challenges :-)
    Welcome. And an excellent start. Will find you next post, too

    ReplyDelete