Monday, April 18, 2011

O: Orkney Isles



The Orkney Isles are located in the far north of Scotland. They hold a lot historical and prehistorical past in their soil and their culture has been remarkably preserved compared to the rest of the UK and yet what facinates me about them are the myths about them. The fairy stories about kings and queens and knight who may never have existed. Never underestimate the power of a myth. The stories that play over and over in people's mind reguardless of facts.

8 comments:

  1. Ah this really makes me want to go to Scotland! I've never been to the UK but my husband's ancestors came from Scotland and mine came from England and Wales so we have a dream of visiting these countries. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. The sea raiders in my novel come from the islands north of Scotland. They've more or less been banished there because of the mutant gene they carry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cliffs are stunning. I would love to see them someday. I miss traveling. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to visit the Orkney Islands some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, gorgeous! Someday I want to visit Ireland and Scotland. They're in my blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful pictures! I'd like to tour the whole UK one day. Its such a beautiful and mystical place. great meeting you through the a-z
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. I really, really, really want to travel. Like, everywhere.

    ReplyDelete